Saturday, April 9, 2011

The Dream Cafe



I think my dinner at The Dream Cafe this weekend is a perfect way to kick off my blog. I had never heard of The Dream Cafe until my roommate Natalie and her fiance Brady suggested it for dinner. It was located in the Quadrangle in Uptown. Although we walked there, there is a parking garage right next to the restaurant, which makes it one of the few places in Dallas you might actually find a parking spot. It is also located right next door to Theater Three and would be the perfect place to grab a bite before seeing a show. As our host walked us to our table on the patio, he described the restaurant as "Cirque du Soleil, but with food." While I'm not sure that is quite the way I would describe it, the menu was definitely eclectic. Whether you are in the mood for some Greek hummus, Asian stir fry, or Mexican enchiladas, there is something on the menu for everyone.

We quickly discovered that Friday is wine flight night. There were two flight options. The first one was a selection of four glasses of two ounce wines from wineries throughout France, while the second was a selection of four red wines from Spain. We decided to spring for the France flight, $17. It was a great variety of wine, but our favorite was definitely the Sauvion Vouvray. It was light and sweet with a hint of honey. For an appetizer we ordered some edamame, $5. Now I have to say, the three of us have eaten a lot of edamame from many different places, and all three of us agreed, hands down, that this was the best. The edamame was fresh, hot, and had the perfect balance and salty and spicy. I would go back just for the edamame!

Now on to the entrees! I ordered the Global Dinner, $10 (first picture below). It was a mix of brown rice and black beans (all organic of course) with grilled chicken drizzled with some jack cheese and a hint of sour cream. It was surrounded by deliciously salty, crunchy chips with a side of pico de gallo and guacamole. Overall I really enjoyed this dish. While it was not bursting with flavor, it was still tasty. It is not often, if ever, that I can eat a Mexican dish and feel like I am eating healthy at the same time, but Global Dinner accomplished them both! Natalie and Brady both ordered the Enchiladas, $11 (second picture below). They both agreed that it was tasty and still felt like a fresh, healthy meal. The salsa was not your average Tex-Mex salsa; instead it had more of a rustic, smoky taste to it. Natalie's only complaint was that the rice tasted a bit dry.



Overall we had a great experience at The Dream Cafe, and I would absolutely go back. Our service was great from the host, to our waitress, to the manager who came by our table twice to check in on us. On my next visit I would consider taking our waitress up on her recommendation of the Venison Flank Salad or the Carrot Risotto. We also learned that The Dream Cafe is best known for its brunch, something I will definitely be going back for.

The Dream Cafe
2800 Routh St.
Dallas, TX 75201
214.954.0486

Price: $$
Rating:


1 comment:

  1. Great post! Will be going to Dream Cafe for brunch soon.

    ReplyDelete